Thursday, July 29, 2010

...and here is a deep thought.........

So, I am a blog stalker. Yup, I admit it and will honestly tell you that I adore reading about other people's lives, whom I have no idea who they are or where they live or will never actually meet. It could be considered scary but I promise it is or I am perfectly harmless. Sometimes I do though, get quite involved with their stories and I cry, or I will laugh or even call Mister to share. (He thinks it is a little weird but....I think some of our most amazing conversations have been started due to something we have read!) And, sometimes I read something that truly touches my heart and makes me a better person.

This past week that happened! I read a blog about a lady who decided that there is so much going on in our lives and how busy we get that we forget that our kids are growing up and might miss the opportunity to do activities that make us who we are as parents are today. (I am paraphrasing this. Hope that is okay. Remember I don't know even know this lady! If you do,please tell her she is AMAZING!) She went on to say that "We are tour guides. Every day our babies hear a language they don't really understand and witness events and objects. Everything is new to them. But ever so much more than teaching our kids, we get to teach them to live!"

That got me to thinking.....(Here is the deep thought part!) Yes, we have introduced our kids to letters which eventually led to reading. We have taught them to write those letters to put down on paper for thoughts and words. We have taught them colors and numbers and how to act in specific situations. We have taken them outside and taught them to swim, enjoy the snow and the sun, see the sky, the trees and even bugs!

But out of all of these things, what are the most important things we can help our children really learn. Of course there is the number one priority that God loves them and there is nothing more important than building that relationship with Him, but my imaginary friend (The blog author. I can say friend because I just know I would LOVE to be friends with this lady! I feel it!!) took it a step further and suggested that we should teach them to really live! That every day, every year, every minute, we need to take a minute or even make a list of things that will help them really "Live". (See! I told you I would love her! I LOVE lists!!!)

So, I thought I would share...Here is my/our live list:

Play in the rain.

Sleep outside under the stars.

Send a care package to someone we love.

Experience a sunrise with a cup of hot cocoa.

Roast a hot dog over a campfire.

Catch a tadpole, and kiss it for good luck before setting it free.

Plant a flower and watch it grow.

Go a WHOLE day without shoes!

Get in a waterfight with no rules.

Make cookies for a friend and doorbell ditch.

Have a tea party.

Play with my camera until I can use all of its features correctly.

Spend a day hiding "Happy Fortunes". (More about this to come...I am soo doing this!)

Teach the dog to stay.

Send a letter just to tell someone you love them.

Go the beach and build a HUGE sand castle.

Go Huckleberry picking and eat them until we feel sick.

Stay in pajamas and watch movies all day. With no housework.

Catch a fish.

Make a zoo out of play-dough.

Splash in rain puddles and get sopping wet while dancing and playing.

Fly kites at the beach.

Laugh until you cry.

Attend a luau.

Swim with dolphins.

Cook a full course meal and have the table set with all the works.

So, there it is. My/Our Live List! I am excited. I am motivated! I am glad there are people who can inspire us without them even knowing. And you know the more I really think about it, a Live List just might be able to bring us one step closer to that very important relationship with God too! Hum....

What is on your Live List? Wanna play along? I would love to hear yours!!!

4 comments:

Maki said...

Love it! You are just so cute! I am pretty sure I will be copying this idea and posting our list in the near future!

Steve and Tammy said...

This is why I love you!

Keri said...

I love this! I was just thinking about how we need to appreciate each moment of our lives... Thank you for your inspiration! HUGS to you my "imaginary friend" :D

Anonymous said...

I have written this 3 times but here goes again. I love these pictures and the people in them. I have been very blessed with a wonderful family.

Love ya
Grandma Terry