Saturday, September 20, 2008

How about a little scrimmage on a Tuesday evening?

This week started out with a football scrimmage against the Optimist "Joe's" football team. When I grew up, it was GI Joe's and it is so very hard for me to call it anything but that! We played on the West Middle School football field and the kids really did an awesome job. The nice thing was that the coaches took the time to redo plays that were not ran correctly and I think the kids will benefit from that extra practice. Jonathan continues to LOVE football (Even though I was secretly hoping that he wouldn't want to play again and we could go back to just watching college ball!)and even though he isn't the fastest one on the field he always gets the tackle. Jonathan plays right tackle and if we haven't had a chance to tell you, he would really rather play defense than offense but our child will do anything someone tells him to do so he will NEVER tell coach his dream. Anyways, after the scrimmage, Jonathan was very quiet in the back seat. Ronie asked him what he was thinking about and he said, "You know, a guard position is really an unglorified job." I asked him what he meant by that and he goes on to explain his thoughts. "If I do my job and let our offense finish the play, the quarterback and the runners get all of the glory, even though without me, they wouldn't have ever gotten through or the opportunity to catch the ball. However, if I miss my guy and it stops the play, then and only then am I the one that gets noticed (actually in trouble) and has to run to the fence." All Ron and I could do was smile at our little philosopher in the back. I swear that boy is always thinking about something and you know to add on that deep thought, he is exactly correct. So moral of the story, cheer on those unsung heroes playing the game! They are the ones that are doing the little extra work to make the play spectacular!!!

No comments: