Friday, June 13, 2008

Hey, we do all fit! See!!!


Okay, so you know all the wonderful weather we have been having (NOT!) and the kids have been watching the TV like hawks to see when the sun will come out and they can get out and play. Well, today the forcast was just what the little ones have been asking for. First of all, while we adults understand that even though the sun might be out today, that doesn't mean the pool water magically warms up to a degree that someone would like to swim in but of course that knowledge comes with time and with age. (Please no more mean comments about my age!) This is important because as we left my mom's house for my belated birthday breakfast of waffles and strawberries (and walking Nana-but that is a whole other story!) the kids were so excited they felt heat and they were ready to swim. With patience, I tried to explain to them the previous statement but they wouldn't dream that this would be the case because as Jonathan put it, "I have sweat right now on my forhead! I NEED the cold water!" So, I join in and start to get excited too realizing that the budget that Ronie and I had blown to bits finally was going to reap its benefits and the kids were going to have the time of their lives. I started out with trying to unhook the "special" tie that Ronie has concocted in order to keep the pool cover on. This took only around 15-20 minutes and I only pinched my finger two times! So, no worries, the hard part was now behind me and the kids soon would be swimming and playing in no time. I was starting to have dreams of sitting on my new patio furniture and watch my little angels take a dip and be the best of friends. I am pretty sure I heard a Jimmy Buffett song play in my head to keep me focused on the next mission at hand... the cover itself! Putting it back on with Ron hasn't ever been a problem but as I started to pull the cover off (making sure not to let the little bugs on the top fall into the water for my princess) water started to fill and I now had a gigantic water balloon that not only was putting the "yuckiness" back into the pool but was starting to pull me down into the pool with it. I was now covered in water, my clothes and my hair wet, hanging onto the side of the pool to keep from going in and the children, my little angels, stood and watched me do the whole thing now had enough nerve to ask why this process was taking so long. Lucky for me, the water balloon sprung a leak on the side and water started to drain (all over me but at this point I really couldn't have cared less!). By the time I had the cover drug to the lawn, the kids who now decided that helping might be a nice gesture, added the ladder to the pool. Wasn't that nice of them? I watched as each child, did a nice cannon ball off the ladder but as quickly as they landed, they jumped right back out at an even faster rate. I was starting to realize that my day off relaxation was going to quickly come to an end if I didn't do something fast, so I punted and asked if the tubes would help. Of course, that was going to be just the ticket. So as I hauled each tube into the shop (remember, I am dripping wet!) and filled each one and carried it all the way back to the pool, they played on them for all of well, maybe 2 minutes and begged to jump on the trampoline. Now, I figured even though it has now taken me close to an hour to get this pool that they all HAD to play in ready for them, at least I could still sit and watch them jump and read my magazine and maybe dry off myself. So, they jumped for well, yea, probably 2 minutes and then all four of them came to me and wanted to go in the house and play the Wii! Can I tell you that I had a meltdown? Yes, the ones that Elizabeth has and I look at her and think why did her father teach her to act that way! I think the kids understood where I was going and all of a sudden realized the pool was going to be alright after all.
However, Nana and Brenna come over and then Liz's great friend Miranda and her sister, Mikayla (Yea! We had another teenager for Teila!) come over and the day did turn out very nice indeed! Of course, they spent most of their time in the hot tub but hey, it's water right?

2 comments:

Grandma Terry said...

I can remember similar stories with you kids but especially in the winter. It takes what seems like hours to get all the winter clothes on when as soon as you go outside someone has to go to the bathroom or wants to go back inside.
I really wish Teila would have been taking a video of this whole procedure with you today, we probably could have made some money. It will get hotter though and I'm sure the pool will get used alot.

I Will Stand said...

I am with Grandma! This needed to be recorded!!! But I do understand what you are going through. I want to know what has happened to my summer vacation. This is no vacation at all!!!