Monday, July 21, 2008

"While we try to teach our children all about life, Our Children teach us what life is all about."-Angela Schwindt


I read this qoute several days ago and it stuck with me! As I tried to be brave this morning(notice I said I!) and took my son to the van for church camp for the first time, the qoute came back to me. Jonathan said last night that he couldn't wait to get up to camp with the boys and go on hikes, swim, spend time learning about God and I realized he was teaching me what "life is all about". Life is about the simple things like camp, hanging out with good friends,and full of "first times" and excitement about getting away and growing up. I realize that I was worried about all of the "life stuff" like what will happen if the van breaks down, what if he gets sick, what if he is lonely. Jonathan was simply reminding me that life isn't about all of the hassle, struggles or have-to's but more about the living it to the fullest. My brain tells me that Jonathan is right where he needs to be (for goodness sakes, I went to camp every year that I could) but my heart feels like a piece is gone. However, realizing that he is "experiencing what life is all about" makes me realize that letting go is one of the greatest things I can do as a parent and if I love him, that is what I need to do! With that being said, I can look at the positive and spend some extra alone time with Elizabeth and do all of the "girlie" things that are important in her life. (As well as eagerly await for Friday when we can pick Jonathan up!!!!!!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Really Debbie it looks like you were perfectly calm and normal. I mean you only took what 20 pictures?! Your blog looks great!! Sorry we didn't get to see you today but call me soon.
Tammy

Joshua and BreAnn O'Leary said...

You growing up my Debbie. The pictures are great and he will have a great time.

Love Aunt Nana

PS I am proud of you

J and Ris said...

What a wonderful mom! He will come back and be that much more grown up! Good job! You can come to Eagle Island with us on Thurs afternoon! I'll email you the details! It will be a fun girls day out!

Teila said...

It's a good thing to let him go to camp Deb. Trust me. He is having a lot of fun and he is fine. I promise. They will make sure nothing happens to your little man :-). He is fine! He will be so happy that you let him go and you will be happy he went too! There's nothing to worry about. Love you!

Grandma Terry said...

It is not easy to let go of your children and trust God totally even though they are really His anyway. I've been praying for Jon, mainly to have a good time but to not have an asthma attack.

Love ya
Grandma Terry

Brisfam said...

So cute! You'll make it Mommy!