Friday, November 28, 2008

Ron and Deb Plus 8?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

We were asked to watch my cousins on our day off before Thanksgiving. Of course Teila and Aly were at our house because without them, my children just simply cannot cope! (We love them though and think of them as part of our clan!) After talking to my "parent teachers" at school, I decided that I need try to do some more "crafty" things with my kids. Some of my parent teachers are amazing!! They can do all sorts of arts and craft projects and they can do even more in the kitchen. So, I figured why not! What a perfect day to spend with the kids in the kitchen making old fashioned sugar cookies that I loved growing up! Well....let's just say that I need to listen to the stories a little bit more before I take on such a project! After making a HUGE batch of dough, the kitchen was cleaned up and we were ready for the actual rolling and cookie cutting, Ron tastes the dough and spits it back out! Hum....apparently, the word sugar in sugar cookies is VERY important! With a range of children starting at almost 1 year to 14 years (or 34 if you want to count Ronie but that would be another story in itself!) keeping them all entertained while a select few used the counter and the cookie cutters was also quite a challenge! We had to take a few timeouts and watch Charlie Browns Thanksgiving (My poor niece Teila of course has never made sugar cookies and never seen this classic! I swear that child acts as if she has never been out of the house!) but this provided a much needed rest time for the little ones! With 9 children (Elizabeth was dying to have her friend over and we figured what could happen with one more! We love you Miranda!!!)Ron and I definitely felt outnumbered!!! However, we had a GREAT time and loved every minute of it!!!! I was proud of all we had accomplished in one day and we were able to spend some quality time with family and I believe that is what the holiday is really about!!!

2 comments:

J and Ris said...

I love sugar cookies! It's even better to just eat the dough! You can let the kids just make all sorts of shapes (like playdough) and then eat the shapes! Yes, sugar is important with sugar cookies! I'll email you a recipe for our Andes mint cookies! Hope your Thanksgiving was fun!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for having the cousins come and join your cookie making day. They had so much fun. You did a great job. What memories you will have.

Thanks again! Your family is a wonderful example of what being a family is.

Love you all so much! You have no idea what you all mean to me.