Thursday, August 7, 2008

A tRiP tO tHe CoUnTy FaIr

I never really thought of us as "city folk" because to be honest we hate the traffic, crowds and shopping, pretty much all of the things people would like about living in town. So when a friend asked us to come to the county fair and watch her son show his goat, I thought it would be a great time. We like animals, being outside and it was free!! The first part of the experience was getting there. It was beautiful and it felt like we had actually gone into another place. I have to be honest and say that I have never really felt that around where we live it is exactly picturesque but along the river, with the gorgeous houses and the vineyards, it was absolutely breathtaking. Even the kids were in awe as we made our way to the fair. As we got out of the car, the first few words I heard were:
Aly: "Where are all of the rides? Are you sure we are in the right spot?"
Elizabeth: (plugging her nose) "EWW, Mom it really stinks like animals here. Did you park in the car section?"
Jonathan: "I am thinking we need to find the ticket counter to play the games and win prizes. Mom, do you know where all that part of the fair is?"
These were just a few comments that the kids made. Trust me there were many more and they all had sort of a confused look on their face as we walked through the fair to find our friends. The first thing we did was go and take a look at Haley's sheep. Here were some of the statements made there:
Teila: "It is sooo loud in here, how do these kids stand it?"
Elizabeth: (plugging her nose) "EWWWW, Mom it stinks in here!"
Aly: "It is so hot, is there not a fan in here?"
When Haley explained where the sheep's tail is and how she has to show the judge it's tail, no one said a word. (Okay, can I say that I was a little perplexed by that one! It didn't appear that the sheep liked it and/or something someone should be doing at all!) All four of my lovely children stood and starred at Haley like she had just committed some horrible sin. The looks on their faces were priceless!
We had to wait to watch Jordan show his goat so we found special seats around the back so we would be out of the way and could really take in the whole experience. The best part was we sat right next to where the kids were washing the cows and to be honest, that would have been worth paying money just to watch my kids. I am not joking for 2 hours, they sat and did nothing but stare at the cows and the kids washing them!! I am not sure how the poor kids working their animals felt about their spectators but I enjoyed watching my kids. Here were some comments:
Teila: "Oh my goodness! They are using REAL hair care products on that cow. You know ones that I use on my hair!"
Jonathan: "Oxyclean??!?!??! Really, you use that on a cow."
Teila: "They have a comb......a real comb!!!"
Aly: "Why is that one lifting it's tail all the way up---EWWWWW! Look at what it just did!"
(Of course, then once they knew why the cows would lift their tail, then all four of them would moan and hold their noses! Talk about embarrising!!!!)
Elizabeth: "How come they wash that cow for soo long? He is just pooping and making himself dirty again!"
Teila: "Why are they filing his feet? Oh my goodness, it is like a pedicure!"
Jonathan: "Do you see that girl has laundry soap? Really mom, she is using laundry soap on the cow!!"
Elizabeth: "The cow knows it's name! Look it stopped when she told it no, it is kindof like a dog!!!"
Elizabeth: "Why is it mooing so much? It's not happy is it Mom?"
The conversation was endless and a lot of fun to be involved in. The best part was the kids were actually learning and entertained by just watching!! After the day at the fair, I am not sure I can say we are "country folk" either. Hum... I wonder what that makes us?

5 comments:

Bunnell's said...

What a fun read...I know we think of ourselves as "country folk" too...But I have a feeling my kiddo's don't:)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had alot of fun.

I wish I could have been there. It would have been so funny to of seen there expressions.

Thanks for sharing!!

Love you all
Aunt Nana

Grandma Terry said...

I think the fair looks like alot of fun. I wish I could have seen the cow being groomed. I think we should get a cow and the kids could groom it, what do you think?

love Grandma Terry

J and Ris said...

Aren't kids funny when they talk? I love to hear the comments that other kids say! What a fun experience for the kids!

Brisfam said...

So fun...thank you again for coming out and sharing our fair!!!