Sunday, August 31, 2008

"Oh Play Us A Song, The Piano Kids......"

Today we splurged, ALOT! The kids(especially Lizzy) have been asking for a piano for so long. We looked this summer and found them to be WAY out of our price range, especially after the disaster of a summer we have had on our finances! I have to be honest too in saying that looking was also for my own selfish reasons. I LOVE pianos and think they add a wonderful touch to any family room and I have always wanted one. I know that sounds nuts because my mom tried so hard when I was growing up to help me learn and encouraged me to play but being the stubborn child I was, I never really got into it. However, now that I am older I sure wish I would have done things differently. Well, anyways back to the big purchase. We were at Costco (I think the devil lives there!) and found these electric pianos for less than 1/3 the cost of an actual piano. Granted they are not the "piece of furniture" that I wanted to have but they are a start and something to build on for our kids. Academically speaking, I know that many reports show how much smarter kids are that play a musical instrument so that alone is a great selling feature. So....here it is the new piano. We are all so excited. I know Ron has been delighted as we played away (I guess you can't call it play...refer back to top of our story!) and made up words to our song during the middle of the football game. I am quite certain that our songs only added to the game. I am not sure Ron felt the same way....maybe tomorrow we should share that there are headphones that go with it. Nah.....I can only see it as bringing us closer together! Don't you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music always brings a family closer together, absolutely. It will be a good thing for the kids to learn and they are so excited. I hope they stay as excited, but if not then it is okay because it is not meant for everyone even when we want to be able to play. I think everyone should at least try a musical instrument of some kind. How fun it will be to see what happens with the kids. I think it looks great in the living room.

Love ya mom

Brisfam said...

Better than that, the next time we get together...you're invited!!!

Teila said...

Sweet Deb! And if Lizzy learns how to play, can she teach me what she learns?!?!?

J and Ris said...

I agree wholeheartedly about bringing a family together with music! I am now teaching all 4 of my kids (along with 13 others) and I just love when my piano gets played! It reminds me of when I was forced to play the piano growing up and I am the same as you! Wishing that I had been more excited about playing and becoming better at the piano at a younger age! by the way, I vote to have a kinder blog! Just so ya know! See you in the classroom!