Sunday, October 26, 2008

Carving Out Some Memories!

Grandma Terry and the girls came over to carve pumpkins and have some dinner! It was a lot of fun and the mess wasn't even that bad to pick up! Every year, when we carve pumpkins it reminds me of a story when I was growing up. I was well, around 15 and my friend Shelley came over to carve pumpkins with me. We were carving (really, doing everything just perfectly!) and somehow, instantly, the pumpkin insides were all over the kitchen! (teehee!) I still remember pumpkin in my hair, down my pants and worse yet, hanging from the light, down the kitchen cabinets and on the walls. I will never forget my dad walking through the kitchen and saying quietly, "You better hope your mom doesn't see this." He didn't seem mad and had a little smile as he left as quickly as he came. Of course my mom did come in and she didn't have the same look. In fact, I think she was genuinely angry! So angry in fact, that when Shelley's mom came to pick her up, they both agreed she would have to come back later to give us some more time. We laughed just as hard picking it up as we did making the mess!!! However, I know to this day, both Shelley and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! It was well worth the punishment! I would venture to guess though, if you asked my mom about the story, she will still be just as angry as she was that night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so not true, I tell the story every halloween and with a smile on my face. I always say that the two of you did a great job cleaning it all up.

We had a great time carving the pumpkins and they all turned out very professional I must add.

Anonymous said...

I need to remember to always sign since it always just says anonymous. Anonymous is Grandma Terry, Love all of you the mostest

J and Ris said...

Too funny! I can't imagine you doing something of those sorts Mrs. Ryan. Your are a kindergarten teacher & you wouldn't ever do anything like that (hee, hee!) The pumpkin patch was fun! Thanks!