Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Read um and weep!!"

Okay I have to add this only because I am so far behind in my blogging and some of you are completely to blame! Let me explain! I guess I can say that I have to take some of the blame as well because I couldn't make it to dance one night and some of the dance mommies (I won't mention names here because it is a safe place.... Brandi and Jolyn!) decided to tell my niece about a new (or old depending on how you look at it!) book series. Well, I have heard of the books and knew enough about them to know they were not a genre that I normally like and to be honest didn't have any desire to read them! I also knew that they were a big hit with the Jr. High and High School kids and that sometimes can be a turn off in itself. However, Teila began reading these books and could not put them down. WOW! This is a child that I have spent countless hours, spring breaks, Christmas breaks, etc. reading with her because she was always behind on a book report and hated to sit down and read. Even on our trip to WA, she did nothing but have her "nose in these books". Now I am not complaining. Anytime I see someone get hooked on reading, I get excited, I am a teacher for goodness sakes but now I am stuck with a dilemma. I feel that someone needs to know what she is reading and the subject matter(My sister being more like Teila and doesn't really ever "get into" a book so it could be years before she reads them.)or just go online and get a general idea about them. Even though I was pretty sure that I would not enjoy them, I decided to take one for the team and read at least the first one. All I have to say, is holy cow!!!! These books suck you in and they will not let you out! That is why my laundry isn't done, my house looks like a bomb went off in it, my kids have had toasted cheese for three nights in a row and I have dark circles under my eyes! Are you are dying to know what books I am writing about? Or maybe you have guessed!?!?! It is the Twilight series and they are good, bad, amazing, scary and thought provoking all in one.
To keep you informed, in case you were like me, there are 4 books in the series thus far. (There is a movie coming out soon as well. Hum, I will have to see about that!!)I have just finished the 3rd book and have asked Teila to keep (actually hide!) the last one from me for a couple of days so that I can get caught up on being a Mommy/teacher and my other duties that have been neglected! So if you have 7-10 days with nothing on your agenda, check them out. You might be pleasantly surprised. I should warn you though, the story line is about vampires (YES! I SAID VAMPIRES!!!) but surprisingly it seems that once you start you read and read and read until you just can't hold your eyes open to read anymore. Then you spend every other waking minute thinking about when you will find a chance to read again. Oh my!!! Talk about time suckage!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It so sounded like Teila describing these books. I can't imagine being so intrigued in a book about vampires, but maybe I'll I will have to read one to see.

It is nice to see Teila's face now since she has finished the books.

Armbruster's said...

LOL Welcome my friend to the Twilight world. Hey go to my blog to pull the countdown until the movie starts! :) hahahhahaha Jolyn & I told you, those books are amazing!!!! Mikayla is starting the series over again & I plan on reading at least the 1st one by the movie. You are right tho! You can't put them down, you dream about them, your whole entire world stops to read them. Nicely put. To those of you who have not read them. Do they are sooo worth the read! Again Welcome to the Twilight World. Twilight movie party is on Sat, Nov 22 the 1st showing hope to see you there!!!!! :) TEAM JAMES!!!! :)

J and Ris said...

I loved book 3 and 4! I agree with the whole not a mommy for a weeek thing! The kids will live through it! I lucked out and I don't have to work during the day! I'd say you need to read the 4th one this weekend while there is now school. Get the laundry done and papers checked and get it read! You'll feel better once they are all read!

KMiles said...

Don't you just love Edward? I am like Teila and can't stand reading, if I do read it takes me weeks to finish even a 100 page book. I finished all four within a week. I am scared to see the movie, but will do it anyway.