Saturday, October 18, 2008

Guess who can tie her shoes?!?! FiNaLlY!!!


October 8, 2008
See the concentration in her face!?!?! My darling daughter with whom I love with all of my heart has struggled with tying her shoes FOREVER!!! I am not one to brag but I spent a good portion of the school year teaching other kids how to tie their shoes and have done a fairly good job at it! So it has been a very sore subject in our house because no matter what I have tried, the girl just couldn't get it. We have tried cute little stories about a bunny running around the trunk and slips into his hole (You know the one I am sure!) or make the two bunny ears and wrap them around, etc. We have even resorted to bribes like the dentist used to get her to quit sucking her thumb! (I humbly have to write that we tried then too but for some reason the dentist had some magical power in his voice as he promised a credit card to Toys R Us if she quit! And so she did that very day! However, let's not get into that right now!!!) We have been patient, we have been angry, we have threatened, we have tried being positive, but nothing!! Then as if some type of shoe tying fairy came down and impressed upon my sweet little girl that it was time to start tying her shoes, she decides to do it for Grandma Terry!!!!!! Can you imagine my feelings? My mom called to tell me that she taught Elizabeth to tie her shoes!?!??!?!!? WHAT!??!?!?! That is all I have to say about that! It couldn't have been the THREE years of prep work that Ronie and I have been doing, it was just one day with Grandma and she has it just like that! UGH!?!?!?! This parenting thing doesn't have any type of credits for the true heroes in the trenches, does it? Regardless, she knows how now and would love to tie any of your shoes if you would so desire and for that we are extremely happy! We are pretty sure that it might look a tad bad to be walking away from her college dorm at Notre Dame and stopping to tie her shoe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was fun for me to see her get it and how excited she was. It is like that alot, someone lays all the ground work and someone else gets all the credit. I know it happened to me with you kids so now it is payback that I get the credit with the grandkids.